Mbapp茅 and R眉diger fined by UEFA but cleared to play CL quarters after 'indecent' celebration

Real Madrid's Kylian Mbappe celebrates after scoring during a Spanish La Liga soccer match between Real Madrid and Leganes at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, Spain, Saturday, March 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)

NYON, Switzerland (AP) 鈥 Real Madrid stars Kylian Mbapp茅 and Antonio R眉diger were fined by UEFA on Friday but escaped bans from the Champions League quarterfinals over 鈥渋ndecent鈥 post-game celebrations in the previous round.

Mbapp茅 and R眉diger were both given a suspended one-game ban for 鈥渧iolating the basic rules of decent conduct,鈥 UEFA said, but those are subject to a one-year probationary period.

Madrid plays at Arsenal on Tuesday in the first leg of the quarterfinals.

The charges followed Madrid players celebrating a penalty shootout win over city rival Atletico Madrid in the round of 16 on March 12.

Video clips circulating on social media showed Mbapp茅 grabbing his crotch on the field.

UEFA said R眉diger was fined 40,000 euros ($44,000) and Mbapp茅 30,000 euros ($33,000). A third Madrid player, Dani Ceballos, was fined 20,000 euros ($22,000) with no suspended ban.

UEFA said no charges were made against Vin铆cius J煤nior, who also had been under investigation.

The probationary bans are the on Jude Bellingham, another Madrid player, after a similar incident with England at the 2024 European Championship. Bellingham also was fined 30,000 ($33,000) for a crotch-grabbing gesture after scoring a stoppage-time equalizer against Slovakia.

Bellingham was still under his year of probation at the Atletico game where he, Mbapp茅 and R眉diger all scored their spot-kicks in the shootout. Atletico won the second leg 1-0 to tie the aggregate score at 2-2.

___

AP soccer:

The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.